Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Rock Krawler Long Arm 3 Link Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3 
Author Topic
xj_zach
waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 2 May 2014 23:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Radius arms do bind though Chrispy. That is exactly why most buggies run a 3 link, or even better is the double triangulated 4 link where no panhard is needed at all.

In terms of road driving, I'm sure they have benefits as Ford still uses them on Super Duties.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 2 May 2014 23:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea zack, the ford guys have been trying to overcome the bind for quite a while... with 'wristed' arms, etc..but its still less than a triangulated 4 link, or 5 link...dont get me wrong, within the designed in range of motion, a 3,4, or 5 link can still be very flexy, while retaining control...

quote:
l rank it up there as one of the best road driving Jeeps I have ever driven.

yea, that's still a very small sample, Moke, compared to the hundreds of variations out there. The issues with a radius arm design on road, as well as the tendency for the axle to try to crawl under the jeep rather than climb, are very well documented. RE builds quality stuff, but even they will tell you for control and road ability, their radius arm setup is not the design of choice.

there are some benefits to a radius arm design as well, and RE builds some nice, high quality stuff, but, you cant overcome physics... its definitely not junk...

STANG
Ofallon, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 May 2014 11:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Had the 3 link rock crawler. Loved it. Off road slight advantage of the RE radius arm on a previous jeep I had. And better than the Tera long lower short upper by leaps and bounds.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 11 May 2014 5:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
How many road miles did you put on it, Wayne? any long highway trips?
STANG
Ofallon, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 May 2014 21:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
3 different trips
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 11 May 2014 21:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
so not many. as i said, 3 link is fine, maybe even preferable for a trailer queen.. but for a vehicle that sees road miles, probably not the design of choice.
STANG
Ofallon, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 May 2014 22:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So when is your custom designed fail proof system hitting the market?
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 11 May 2014 23:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
why would I redesign? there are already plenty of quality, reliable, roadworthy systems out there. the 3 link is simply not one of them.
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 12 May 2014 15:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Because you can safely lose a link from a 4 link on the highway and not have a problem? Yeah right.
JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 May 2014 18:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^^^^ lol what that wouldn't work right?
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 May 2014 21:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
But Chrispy said so
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 13 May 2014 0:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
depends on how you lose the link bush. a 4 link with track bar can be run without one of the 4 links.. naturally, if it fell off the axle end and lodged in the highway, youd be in a world of hurt, but the axle will stay located. I broke an upper link in moab 2 years ago on my JK. i thought i had broken the electric sway bar.. completely drivable, but a bit loose. still tighter than the cherokee with no swaybars. had it been a 3 link or radius arm configuration, it would not be drivable at all. sorry bush, but as usual, you have no idea what your talking about.

a triangulated 4 link would also be drivable, but scary.

lose a link on a 3 link, and your boned.

lose a frame to axle link on a radius arm setup and your toast.

Edited by - chrispy on 5/13/2014 12:57:03 AM

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 13 May 2014 10:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
A 4 link with a trackbar is um a 5 link. I have a dual triangulated 4 link rear and took one bolt out and the axle wanted to move.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 13 May 2014 14:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
so, jim.... if thats the case, i guess theres no such thing as a 3 link, eh? since pretty much every 3 link out there has a track bar.... by your illogic, that would make it a 4 link, right? ROFL...

Bushlogic: a three link with a track bar is a three link. but a 4 link with a track bar is a five link.. hmmm ok buddy...

anyway, back in the real world...

and while a broken arm (or if for some unknown reason you remove a bolt) on a 4 link, depending on style, will allow the axle to move around left to right, it shouldnt rotate...

lose a bolt, break a joint, or an arm on a 3 link and the axle rotates, likely destroying your driveshaft, shocks, and many other parts, depending on speed/conditions, etc.

JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 13 May 2014 19:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
A true three link is a radius arm set up with at track bar.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Rock Krawler Long Arm 3 Link Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply