Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Winch Questions Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4 
Author Topic
Gunmetal (Nick)
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 9 March 2013 11:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Stalker -

I thought the same at first too. I too couldn't explain the in's and out's of electrical currents, amps and ohms however those large audio systems are direct connect to the battery just like a winch. The setups are actually scarily similar in that a winch's tigger button is simply energizing the solenoid to close the loop and pull direct power from the battery. Much like the remote trigger wire on amplifiers for car audios.

My truck ran on air ride with a heavy amp draw (60 amp) air compressor. It also had 4 amplifiers pulling roughly 1100 watts at around (100 amps). Before this upgrade my lights would dim and flicker. After, I was able to run the air ride compressor and full audio with lights and the truck running with no hint of lights dimming.

The option might be worth some investigating with regard to providing efficient power to the winch.

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 9 March 2013 12:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It's never going to hurt anything to run over kill wiring (except a 2 lbs or so of extra weight)... The best wire I have found to use is welding cable, it is very flexible and has a crazy amount of strands to let the current flow.. if you have it, use it..

The biggest diffenence you'll find between a stereo draw and a winch draw is that stereo draws have peaks, where a winch draw is more constant... So to compare the power draw imagine your stereo cranked up all the way and playing the deepest bass note for 15mins straight...

I know electrical upgrades are a great idea when adding a winch, but I think some on here have got you alittle "gun shy"... a winch draws lots of power, but if your only making short pulls for a couple minutes at a time then even a factory system will hold up just fine.. It's when your planning on winching 6 jeeps up a hill back to back that your gonna over tax your system... and if you find yourself winching 6 jeeps at a time all the time, then you either need a better/more capable group of jeeping friends / a different winch (hydrolic) / or your in a place that you dont need to be to start with...

I have a 8500lb cheap winch on my jeep, I have put a couple loads on it that I felt came close to maxing it out while recovering a sunkin/mudfilled boat, and dragging trees out of the woods and up steep hills, both of these task required me to anchor the back of the jeep to trees or telephone post to keep it still. I will pull for 5-10 minutes, then stop and do a walk around to make sure everything looks good and let the winch cool a minute or two...

I have nothing on my jeep other then a little higher amp factory altenator, and a cheap autozone battery. Is it idea? no... does it work just fine for my needs? So far yes, no problems...

So even though it's a good idea to upgrade your system if you plan on using your winch ALOT, your jeep isn't going to melt into pieces if you don't and use your head alittle bit...

Welcome to jeeps, you thought low riders where expensive, just wait...

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 10 March 2013 11:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
KZ, as a follow-up to my comments here and at dinner last night, I haven't had the rope to compare to (I think someone else in this thread said the same). I know weight of the cable is one thing people talk about. And, ironically, I went with rope for my ATV, but still went with Warn.

And, just to be nitpicky with Moke:

quote:
If voltage drops enough your check engine light will come on.

Actually, the "Check Gauges" light comes on, not check engine. Not that I've had it happen or anything

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 10 March 2013 12:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks, Randy. I stand corrected.
There is a big difference between check gauges and check engine.
You have to get out and open the hood to check engine. You can stay in the seat to check gauges.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

kz
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 March 2013 11:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Jeepr, Moke, is that 'check gauges' light when battery voltage drops significantly typical just in the TJ's, or should I expect the same response out of my JK? It's just that so much is controlled by the computer on the JK that a straight line from A to B is rarely a straight line, if you know what I mean.

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 11 March 2013 16:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We dunno about them JK thangs. Might just fry the computer or something rather than getting a nice reminder light
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 11 March 2013 17:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Probably holds true for any computer controlled vehicle.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

kz
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 March 2013 18:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I can see it now, the new winch sitting pretty and good to go again...at the front of an ash profile of the smoldering JK. ;)

Edited by - kz on 3/11/2013 6:49:48 PM

Gunmetal (Nick)
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2013 3:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
xj6in -

Thats a good point you bring up regarding peaks in audio and constant draw from a winch.

safetyguy
Fairview Heights, IL
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2013 7:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Just to put this in perspective.

Owned Jeep YJ since 1995 and has had a winch and mount since 1999. Colorado 5 times, Lost Coast, Badlands, LBL, Washita, Big Bend, Moab, Paragon, Superlift, and many trips to the woods. Used the winch less than 5 Times.

ATV- Bought it new in 2004 with Winch. Over 700 hrs and used the winch twice.

Toyota 4 Runner. Installed winch in 2010. Washita 5 Plus times, Superlift twice, Barnwell Mountain. Never even spooled it out yet.(other than cleaning and oiling)Sure looks cool though.

Trust me. The times you might need it are the times you are alone and you have been a little over your head.

Ive used a 5 ton come-along, highlift, and many tow straps.

Granted- The YJ has a dual battery setup (blue top and Yellow top) Powermaster Gen Red 190 amp alternator and painless wiring battery switch to winch.

Yota has a Chevy alternator swap to 160 amps and Big 3 Mod, Yellow top.

They are there in case of emergency because I seem to be a little dense and will run Washita by myself.

Save your money and move up to a stronger drivetrain and skid protection. Lockers, real cage, beadlocks, and spare parts and specialty tools.......We can fix anything.

The goal is to idle the trails and have fun. Nobody wants to be that guy that is unprepared and breaks every 50 feet, but his winch sure looks pretty.

"An untrained hand is a Dangerous Hand"

Dennis

Tanker
Webster Groves, MO
Online Member
Posted - 8 May 2013 23:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Correction Safetyguy... at LBL one weekend you and I teamed up and must have pulled 5 vehicles out of "being stupid stuck" :)

I used a Warn on my XJ once when 3 of us got silly stuck turkey hunting way south of Potosi. I must have done 20 pulls over the course of 4 hours moving each of our vehicles about 75 yards at a time. It was unbelievably painstaking, arduous and tasking. My Warn saves our collective arses that day. I would NEVER own anything else.

Chiming in here... Warn, it works.

Castor
Winchester, IL
Online Member
Posted - 10 May 2013 19:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
After I installed the new Ramsey winch, I went for two years without any excuse to use it. Then I used it twice on a "trail-builder", and winched about a dozen consecutive on a spring slicked sidehill in Pike Co. Illinois in less than a month. It was sure nice to have when I needed it...
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 10 May 2013 19:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
I must have done 20 pulls over the course of 4 hours moving each of our vehicles about 75 yards at a time. It was unbelievably painstaking, arduous and tasking. My Warn saves our collective arses that day. I would NEVER own anything else.

Same thing happened to us in the swamps on the north end of the Badlands, in rocker deep mud. Warn 8274.
ihscoutlover
Over There, IL
Online Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 18:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Ive used both Ramseys and Warns. Those are really the only two I would own. The Warn M8000 is mounted to a custom installed Warn Bumper designed for a different truck, but mounted onto Melissa's Traveler. I had two solenoids fail, that's all I have had to replace since the truck's purchase in 2004. I have unstuck the neighbor's Dodge Ram 3/4 ton two times with it, and my father's full size ram van once. Worked great each and every time it was needed without flinching. The Ramsey I use is an REP8000e, and is mounted on a portable mount to go into a front or rear receiver hitch. Bought it off Craigslist in 03 or 04. Used like 9 times I was told. It looked like it was used, but barely. I have used it to extract Scouts for loading onto trailers, and on a couple of trail rides had it along in the event it was needed. It too worked as I got it. Cable for power was setup for Warn plugs, but it works and that's what counts. Both winches have wire rope. I have always liked wire, and while it is dangerous, it also is pretty damage resistive, doesn't need as much care as synthetic rope does, and well its already there, I am gonna use it. I have another Ramsey, an REP8500E that needs a new motor housing, cause someone let the wire buildup to one side of the winch, and it split the housing. $200 is all I have into that one, and it too will likely go into a cradle unit for use in a hitch, but with a longer set of battery leads. With a winch, typically you do get what you pay for. I have bought parts from Ramsey, and they are just as knowledgeable as the Warn guy was once we troubleshot the solenoids to find out why it was powering out, but not in. Those are my takes, and congrats on the Warn, it will serve you well. Might buy either a powerplant or the 16Ti unit and play some since I have some ideas and I like a little overkill with my winches. They cost some coin, but in the long run are worth the investment if used correctly.

Jeff

robs
O'Fallon, IL
Online Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 19:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've needed a winch several times and never had one... I just installed my Warn VR10000... Entry level.. probably Chinese.. Here's to hoping it's all good...

Forums | General Discussion Forum | Winch Questions Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply