Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Need a trailer Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4 
Author Topic
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 July 2013 9:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You can store it at my work for free if I can use it...
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 4 August 2013 23:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Is 16' long enough for say, a YJ? Or is 18' the minimum trailer length recommended?
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 August 2013 20:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I think the one I haul my XJ on is 16', and I am pretty sure those U-Haul car trailers are 14'..

Just the shorter the trailer, the more important trailer axle placement is because you don't have much room to move forward or back to balance the load.

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 August 2013 20:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
bounty i hauled my old YJ stock wheel base on a 16 foot non-dove tail just fine. however on my 16+2 dove itts a nicer tow but then again the trailer is much heavier built. I am convinced you could tow a stock wheel base YJ/TJ/CJ on a 14 foot trailer that was well built for the task without issue.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 5 August 2013 22:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I tow a TJ on a 16' non-dovetail trailer and there is plenty of room. The 10% tongue weight rule puts rear axle of the TJ just behind the rear axle of the trailer so there is plenty of room behind or in front of the TJ.
But, you can't go wrong with a bigger trailer.
safetyguy
Fairview Heights, IL
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 7:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Stalker....however I do agree with your statment..of nothing wrong with a bigger trailer. Just remember, when you go big you go expensive. My trailer, however, is a gooseneck 14000 deck over with a 5 foot dove. The sucker weighs close to 5500 lbs empty. with the toy on it I'm pullin 10,000 lbs. Wear and tear on the pull pig is expensive. Big boy tires are stupid expensive and not easy to find in the middle of NW Texas on that trip of a lifetime.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 11:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I appreciate all the great feedback. I'm considering the utility type trailer with the rail as I also haul ATV's, any opinions on this as opposed to the flatbed?
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 11:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You can always add tie downs to a flat bed.
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 13:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The downside I ran across on the utility style is if you haul a car. Some times you cant open the doors to get out. How about a flatbed with stake pockets and then make some short wood sides to plug into the pockets.
hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 9 September 2013 20:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Those who procrastinate . . . Well. I guess I'll go look at this one http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grq/3942480212.html
BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Online Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 20:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That looks nice Hack.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 9 September 2013 23:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hope you got that one.
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 10 September 2013 8:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I really like the rice trailers,look sharp
Zach87
Waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 10 September 2013 17:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
They went up a bit in price on that rice trailer. Thats what i paid for my 20' from them in the spring. Its a great trailer for sure. They are also great people to deal with. Do not wait long cause they do not keep them in stock long at all. when i bought mine i was lucky to have gotten there when i did cause not 5 mins later three other people where there to buy the same one i was after since it was the last one in stock.
hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 14 September 2013 15:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Zack was right. Those puppy's sell quick and by the time I got there they were gone. So much for negotiating a lower price. One of my customers is going to let me borrow his. I will pick it up tomorrow. It's bigger than i need and has a metal deck so pitching the tent on top of it is probably not gonna work out. Hope it all works out.
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Need a trailer Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply