Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Projects | TJ 5.2 Dodge Magnum SWAP Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3 
Author Topic
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Club Member
Posted - 28 September 2013 5:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Project is basically finished. Afton muffler did a good job for about 260. I installed a Ford Taurus Fan. I purchased a ford Taurus fan/shroud and a volvo fan with the relay pack. I swap the volvo fan into the ford fan shroud, added some brackets along the outside edge and it bolted right up. I went to the junkyard and pulled a jeep Cherokee fuse box, and pull a bunch of the wiring out of it. I opened up my fuse box and added the Cherokee wiring, fuses, and a relay to drive the fan. I purchased a 1.5 in diameter radiator hose adapter with a 3/8 npt nut welded to it of ebay for 22 shipped. I purchased an SW505 switch and the pigtail to go with it, and hooked everything up. The fan turns on at 220. That's a little higher than I would like, but it okay for now.

I had to make a custom shifter by cutting short pieces of round metal at different angles, and welding them together. It works well, but took forever.

I am very happy with the conversion! The jeep has plenty of power!

hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 5 October 2013 19:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So get some suspension and tires and lets go wheelin
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Club Member
Posted - 5 October 2013 22:3  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
its got 32in tires. bigger is probably better.

my biggest problem would be finding a baby sitter for a 2 year old and a 6 day old... you know anyone :)

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 October 2013 9:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Cool build I'm guessing this is still 100% street legal for mo on emissions.
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Club Member
Posted - 8 October 2013 19:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
it should be. the vin in the ecm doesn't match the vin of the car...that's my only concern.
hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 12 October 2013 6:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Baybsitter, maybe mom and grandma can steer the ship during your brief absence while you "troubleshoot" your creation. It l would be a shame to take the bride out wheelin on your rigs maiden voyage an break down. Then you'd have to call your friend with a truck and soon to be trailer to haul your back to the baby land.
rherman85
Brentwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 1 December 2014 14:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Just finished a 318swap in my yj. What kind of gas milage are you getting? Just curious. Mine seems lower than what i have gathered online. what gears/tires are you running?
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 December 2014 17:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Awesome! I believe its around 14-15mpg ... kinda bad. I didn't upgrade the size of my exhaust and there are other things ( like a potential leaky injector) that might be contributing to it. I swapped in an nv4500 that totally messed up my pinion angle. I ended up making a completely new cross member/skid plate to lower the transmission with minimal impact to ground clearance. That took most of the summer so it didn't see hardly any drive time.
rherman85
Brentwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 December 2014 16:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What gears and tires are you running? I'm getting about 13-14mpg with 35"tires and 4.10 gears. I have seen ppl online with the same motor getting saying they are getting 17-20mpg running 4.88s and 35s. trying to gather weather or not the gear swap would pay off.
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 December 2014 17:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
31 in tires and 4.10 gears. It seems like numerically lower gearing would get you better gas millage. Maybe 3.73 gears.

Did you increase the size of your exhaust? The jeep stock exhaust is 2.25, but the Dodge Ram exhaust is 2.5. The engine is calibrated for that diameter. That's the most likely suspect on my list.

Edited by - radar on 12/3/2014 5:23:01 PM

Edited by - radar on 12/3/2014 6:23:44 PM

rherman85
Brentwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 December 2014 13:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea. after my y pipe i have 2.5" pipes. I am going to throw some stock tj wheels i have on it and see if the smaller tires make a difference. If they do, then taller gears will help. It might eat some gas, but it sure is fun doing burnouts with 35" tires haha.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 4 December 2014 18:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Smaller tires will have a similar effect as lower gears (numerically higher). Smaller tires would only help if your gearing is too high and your engine is lugging to maintain speed.
10theods01
st Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 December 2014 16:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yeah I think that's y he is putting the smaller tires on as a temporary experiment to see how much a taller gear swap would pay off
Forums | Projects | TJ 5.2 Dodge Magnum SWAP Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply